Friday, April 2, 2010

Easter

Spring has sprung, the clocks have changed and it's time for Easter. Since this is my first Easter in another country, I thought I'd ask somebody about some of the cultural differences that I might expect to find. Here's how the conversation didn't go...

Me: Great, it's Easter! That means chocolate and shopping, right?
Spain: No way, those are UK 'traditions'. It's different here.
Me: So I won't get any chocolate on Sunday?
Spain: Listen. You may have noticed that all week, there have been plenty of processions with huge floats? Well each local church here has their own procession and you can see them going around the streets each evening. It's important to us here so people put a lot of effort into it.
Me: Ah yes I did see them actually, they were quite something. The ones last night were very impressive.
Spain: Indeed. And did you see all the people in pointy hats?
Me: The ones carrying candles? Yeah they were great too. Do they give out the chocolate?
Spain: Of course not. Why don't you go and check out some more processions this evening?
Me: I think I will. But when do I get my chocolate?
Spain: I give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment