Monday, May 24, 2010

A Little Less Conversation ... Please

Once again I'm going to break from convention and post a semi-real event. (Sometimes real conversations are more amusing than made-up ones.) On a recent trip back to the UK, I overheard a rather amusing misunderstanding in a book shop.

Here's how the conversation didn't go...

Customer: Excuse me.
Staff Member: I'll be with you in a second, I'm just serving this customer...
Customer: But I...
Staff Member:: Sorry madam, I just need to give this man his change and I'll be with you.
...
Staff Member: OK sorry about that. Now, how can I help?
Customer: Erm, do you have customer toilets?
Staff Member: Just bear with me a second, I'll find out for you.
...
Staff Member: I don't think we do sorry.
Customer: Oh never mind then, I'll try somewhere else. Thank you.
Staff Member: Oh but just a second, do you know the author's name?
Customer: Erm, I don't understand?
Staff Member: I mean, if you know the author's name then I can search that way? Maybe the author or the publisher?
Supervisor: If I can interrupt here, I think I can help. Customer Toilets is not a book, Jonathan. I think this lady needs the loo. Yes madam we do have a toilet, it's just round that corner past the language section.

No comments:

Post a Comment